Thursday, January 31, 2013

JIT Videos - Thanks DiscoveryEd


I was listening to my daughter explain what they learned in science this week, when we came upon a challenging term in her notebook, mid-ocean ridge.  I asked what it was and she couldn't tell me so I pulled my smartphone out of my pocket.  She wanted to go to Google, but I insisted upon another approach.  I figured Google would send us to Wikipedia and while the answer would be correct, it wouldn't be very accessible to a 6th grader.

I logged into DiscoveryEd (thanks Durham Public Schools!) and typed the word into their search.  And sure enough several videos came up.  This one, http://app.discoveryeducation.com/player/view/assetGuid/3EB61358-BE93-4E30-99C6-F106C2CC4D8B, was the best.  It had two experts explaining the term and showed an animated globe with a mid-ocean ridge.  It was under 5 minutes long.

I learned in my videography class this week that short segments are helpful because students don't lose focus.  Score!  So after Hannah and I watched the video, I emailed the link to her science teacher so the whole class can watch on the data projector!  I was delighted!

No comments: